Saturday 28 December 2013

The time issue

My son, Perran, was wondering why Spain does not have the same time as London.  He was surprised that it is an hour ahead.  Well, while wallowing in the bath and listening to the radio earlier this afternoon, I got the answer!

Apparently, back in 1942, Franco decided that he would align the clocks with Germany, rather than leave than as they were with England.  Thus the clocks were put forward an hour and so they have remained since then.  There are moves afoot to put them back an hour, but I don't know how likely that is.  Apparently the Spanish are the most sleep deprived, and it is thought that putting the clocks back an hour might help to change their lifestyle and help cut the leisurely lunch.  Can't see it happening - this is all a treasured part of their lifestyle from what I can see.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog Janet. I'm in Eugene Oregon and have yet to be on the Camino. I'm almost 50 and still in work mode. HOPE to be there. I'm with ya in spirit. Ultreia.

    ReplyDelete