Wednesday 18 December 2013

Let the Picture tell the Tale

I have selected a number of photos to show you of some of the things that I have seen.  I am having trouble uploading these onto the blog using my tablet, and so gave up last night and instead got up super early to try this computer instead.  

Yesterday was another lovely day of walking.  I even had to get my visor out it was so sunny!  The only snag was that there were no places for a cafe con leche along the way, which meant it was very fortunate that I had some bread and cheese in my bag to eat at a little picnic spot about 6kms from Pamplona.  Elizabeth and I stopped there when we came on this route in 2007.

There were no cafes or bars open, but an an enterprising man was on the path selling cans of drink and fruit.  He had a little stall right in the middle of the path, stocked with just a few items.  He told me he lived in Pamplona, and I presume he must make the journey out each day to snag the few passing pilgrims.  I would assume from the way he spoke that he had fallen on hard times.  He said that in the summer three hundred pilgrims a day pass that spot!  Yesterday there would have been about 6! He was a lovely man and I did my bit to support him and bought a drink, nice and cold, even though only air temperature!

Now that I am in the big city I am in pharmacy country with flashing signs giving the temperature and the time.  It was 10 degrees walking into the city and had dropped to 8 an hour or so later.  Pamplona has festive lights up and the shops put up one "light" at the doorway.  This is something like a metre plus Christmas Tree, reindeer etc mad of lights.  They make the street look quite festive.  

I haven´t been outside yet, but the forecast is rain!  So this might be the day to test the wet weather gear.  

Here are the photos.  When I previewd this post there were some odd things happening, but dont have time to fix it.  Sorry

Leaving St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.  Crossing the River Neve

The Church in Valcarlos.  I sang here, with the timing that I could sing Away in a Manger at about the same time as folks back home would have been singing it for the Nativity ReEnactment.  This is the first time that I 
wouldnt have been invovled in the music making in over 30 years.     



I even managed a shadow shot as I climbed up the mountain!

The view as neared the "top" of the Pyrennees on this path.  

Climbing still.

 Nearing the top of the Ibaneta pass

At the Pass

Descending

The sun kissed the monastery at Roncevalles just after I left.

Soggy leaves on the path.  It was difficult to know where it went at times!

Some bridges on the way.  Some man power needed to lift these stones!




On the way

The Pension where I stayed in Zubiri

Christmas decorations in Pamplona

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janet. Great to hear from you at last. Tried to post last night but for some reason it didn't work. Just loving the photos. Takes me back even though it is the wrong season. Booked out tickets last night and leave on 7th September. Took the fiddle in to work today and played Away in a Manger as part of our Christmas decoration competition. We had a live tableau complete with pregnant Mary, obviously we did at lot or early planning!. Keep the commentary coming. I'm passing on the blog site to a few people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet- the photos and your commentary are great. The countryside looks beautful and I love the Chrissie decorations in Pamplona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shot of the monastery at Roncesvalles, I must have walked a completely different way when I left, I never saw it from this angle. Definitely a good reason to return ;)

    ReplyDelete