Monday 23 December 2013

Photos, and some stories

Tonight I am sitting in a bar in Najera - and of the dark red soil, and in wine making territory.  I think it must be a "men's" bar as I am the only woman!  Might finish soon an move elsewhere.  Mind you, it is lovely seeing these men sitting chatting and playing cards together.  I was also absolutely thrilled to see the barman call one of them and hand him the phone - someone else who doesn't need a mobile!!!!!!!

Well have managed to upload some more photos - hope you enjoy.

PS it is now 7, and still no women have arrived!

Last time I walked the Camino Frances I sang 
"My Lord What a Morning" in this Church inTerradillos del Rio.

As I have been walking past houses I have seen the "three kings" trying to get in and leave presents.  I have also seen quite a few of the fellow below too, but can't tell you his name.  Sometimes his bag is black and sometimes red!


 Thee have been a few Santa's too - this one has a particularly agile neck!



One of my favourite Spanish towns - Ciriqui, meaninThatest of vipers".

 The Roman bridge crossed after descending from Ciriqui.
 This photo and one further down is to show you how they rug this plant up.  I was going to ask if anyone recognises it, but I have just had a chat to the bar man who tells me it is Cardo.  He showed me a jar of it and it looks to me like celery.

 Leaving Ciriqui I sought shelter in this olive tree, so that I didn't have to put my raincoat on!

 One of the icy puddles I negotiated the other day, and the following photos show some of the mud I have sloshed through!


 Frozen solid!

 More frost!


Nearing Los Arcos.



 This was the meal that I had in Linquin, taking the high road leaving Estella.  It cost the grand total of 2.50 Euros!

 Viana

 The long steaight road from Los Arcos.........

 .........and heading into Najera.

 Nearly at Logroño the road crosses a major highway.  They have taken care that no pilgrim will get injured!

 This is a view that I have never seen of the cathedral at Logroño because I have always been on this path when there have been leaves on the tree!


 Coming into Najera this is one of the iconic scenes of the Camino.  This is the original Spanish version, but someone has also done a German translation a bit further on.

 As I entered Najera I saw a big brown door.  On impulse I gave it a push and it opened with another lighter brown door ahead of me.  I opened that an found myself in a church which belongs to a convent.  It was beautifully peaceful, and with no one round I was able to have a good sing of some of my favourite Christmas carols.


 I then continued on into the town and crossed this bridge to find tonights albergue.

 Back to the path into Logroño, and these strange "things" decorate the path.  Not sure of their purpose!


A random road shot, as I head towards Los Arcos.  By now it was getting quite late, and it was also getting chilly.  This was where I met up with the group from Darwin.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Janet, and a Happy New Year. Nice photos, Cheers Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Janet, you must have such fun taking them! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete