Monday 13 January 2014

To O Cebreiro, by various means!

.….and it is snowing!  This is a novelty for me, and more especially it is a novelty to walk, with a pack, in the snow.  I was nervous at first, but got into the swing of it after a while.  I don't wish to imply that I have walked the whole way, because that would be a furphy.  However, I have walked the last 4 kilometres up hill to here.

I began walking with a chap from South Korea, who very kindly started with me, but once we were on the way I sent him on because even though he too has an injury he is a much faster walker than me.

This morning began in a bit of a panic, with each of us (a south Korean, a Spanish and myself) in the dorm not waking until 8.20am.  This created a potentialproblem for me as I was told the bus left at 8.30am.  I have never dressed and packed so quickly!  I was out the door at 8.29, and did not see any bus go past.  About 20 mins later a bus arrived and I hopped on after stowing my "mochilla" in the trunk at the back! It transpired that this bus was going to Perdifita, a village at a slightly lower altitude than O Cebreiro, where I was meant to be headed.  This meant a 4 km walk along a road, in the snow, and often with poor visibility.  Nonetheless I found it a magical walk.  For me seeing snow covered hillsides, and snow bedecked trees is quite a novelty, and one that I stopped frequently to admire.  I was toasty warm, and when the wind was driving the snow towards me I just kept my head down to avoid the snow getting in my eyes.

Along the road

Arriving

The view from my bed!

Seeing this village in the snow is a real treat.  This afternoon while I was waiting for the washing machine (a bit of a bonus!), I lay on my bunk and looked out the window at the snow falling.

The church at O Cebreiro, and
below the view from the church




There is no doubt a lot more that I could say about this fairyland I find myself in, but time is against me.  I think the pictures tell it all!

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to see O Cebreiro in the snow! it must look wonderful. Glad to see you've resolved your camera issues. You're on the home stretch now, hope its not too wet in Galacia for you. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That certainly is view of O Cebreiro we are not used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, your photos are stunning! Much as I don't like the cold, you're stirring up a desire to visit the Camino in Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 41 degrees today. just loving it. I also love snow. take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow really does give everything a touch of magic, doesn't it. Glad to hear you are going so well and keeping warm. Gorgeous photos! Chris

    ReplyDelete